The general mission of the Ministry of Justice / Office of the Attorney General shall be to organise and to oversee the promotion of the rule of law and justice for all.
Specifically, the Ministry of Justice / Office of the Attorney General shall be responsible for:
1. Developing, disseminating and coordinating the implementation of policies, strategies and programmes through:
a. Conception, elaboration and dissemination of national policies, strategies and programmes to promote the rule of law and justice for all;
b. Promotion of support mechanisms to the community programmes to enhance education of the population about laws and human rights, and to promote access to justice;
c. Promotion of cooperation between regional and international judicial institutions to improve the functioning of national judicial services.
2. Organising and coordinating national legislation through:
a. Elaboration of measures governing the administration of justice and the compliance with the Constitution;
b. Putting in place measures aimed at guaranteeing the quality of the national judicial system regarding national reconciliation, fight against Genocide ideology, access to justice for all, fight against corruption and promotion of human rights;
c. Putting in place measures aimed at improving legal drafting and harmonization of national laws and regulations with the international laws, acceded to and/or ratified by Rwanda.
3. Providing legal advice and representation of the Government and its institutions through:
a. Acting as chief Government technical adviser by providing requisite advice to Government and its institutions on legal matters;
b. Representing the Government in disputes of any kind to which it is party at the national and international levels.
4. Ensuring the institutional capacity development of the Justice Sector to improve their organisation and functioning.
5. Monitoring and evaluating the implementation of policies, strategies and programmes of Justice Sector and allied entities through:
a. Establishment and implementation of indicators to monitor and evaluate the impact of the Justice Sector policies, strategies and programmes on development and access to justice;
b. Consolidation of the data provided by the Justice Sector and decentralised institutions on justice matters;
c. Periodical and annual reports to the Government on the impact of the policies, strategies, programs and projects on the rule of law in Rwanda;
d. Mobilization of resources for the development of the Justice Sector and related programmes.